Disability politics in a time of capitalist crisis: could history repeat itself?

by Chris J. Ford
  1. Ian Birrell, “The demonization of the disabled is a sign of the times,” The Observer, December 4, 2011.
  2. Ibid.
  3. Ibid.
  4. Francis Galton, Inquiries into Human Faculty and Development (London: J.M. dent, 1883).
  5. Colin Barnes, “The Social Model of Disability: A Sociological Phenomenon Ignored by Sociologists?” in The Disability Reader: Social Science Perspectives, ed. Tom Shakespeare (London: Continuum, 1998), 73-74. Barnes relates that Finkelstein, through the employment of a Marxist materialist analysis in his book, Attitudes and Disabled People (1980), hypothesized that disabled people had not been included within pre-industrial society as the modes and relations of production in existence then did not necessarily exclude impaired people from being a part of the production process. When the Industrial Revolution arrived, this changed as with the rise of mechanization and other more technology-based production modes, disabled people were deemed surplus labor and began to be separated, thereby making the process of medicalization and segregation much easier to achieve. Vic Finkelstein died on November 30, 2011.
  6. Chris Ford, “Good-bye to Tiny Tim: An introduction to the politics of disability,” New Zealand Political Review, Summer 2004, 10-19.
  7. Marta Russell, Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract, (Monroe, Maine: Common Courage Press, 1998), 82.
  8. Staff Reporter, “Disabled face cash curbs,” The Guardian Weekly, December 21, 1997, 9.
  9. No Work—No Wage: How the Community Wage will be implemented,” The Jobs Letter No.77/27, April 1998.
  10. Social Welfare in New Zealand,” Hon. Steve Maharey.
  11. Welfare Working Group, Long Term Benefit Dependency: The Issues: Summary Paper, (Wellington: Institute of Policy Studies, Victoria University of Wellington, 2010), 10: Institute of Policy Studies.
  12. Gordon Campbell, “On the South Canterbury Finance bailout,” September 1, 2010
  13. James Chapman and Vicky Barrow, “20 percent VAT rise is here for good: Osborne’s warning as tax rise leaves shoppers bewildered,” The Daily Mail, January 5, 2011.
  14. Lucy Glennon, “The work capability assessment is a genuine source of anguish,” The Guardian, March 2, 2011.
  15. Major welfare reform resets expectations,” Hon. Paula Bennett, November 1, 2011.
  16. Ibid.
  17. Tom Clark, “Cameron’s approval rating outstrips his government’s—poll,” The Guardian, December 25, 2011. This poll outlined how the combined scores of the Conservatives (37 percent) and Liberal Democrat (15 percent) when added together constitutes a majority (52 percent) of electoral support for the Coalition.
  18. Beneficiary solo mum defends spending,” 3news.co.nz, November 8. 2011.
  19. Ian Cook, “The Holocaust and Disabled People,” October 17, 2008.
  20. Russell, 82.
  21. Nicholas Watt, “Welfare reform bill delay blocked as Coalition wins vote against amendment,” The Guardian, January 17, 2012.